The Quebec coroner\'s office said cotton-swab manufacturers should warn consumers not to put products in their ears after a man dies from the associated complications.
\"I think we should go further, maybe there is a pictographic on the package with a small ear and a red X mark,\" said Dr. Quebec coroner . \"
Jacques Ramsey suggested.
In a report released on Tuesday, Ramsey said that using a cotton swab to clean the inside of the ear can also lead to fatal consequences.
Ramzi investigates Montreal resident Daniel St-
Pierre died in March 2007 and accidentally pierced his eardrum two days ago with a cotton swab. St-
Pierre, 43, died in a brain
Brain complications caused by bacterial ear infection, he accidentally pierced the eardrum with a cotton swab while trying to treat painful ear pain.
While the medical community is aware of the dangers posed by cotton swabs
, ordinary people are often unaware, Ramsey said.
The best way to clean the inside of the ear, he said, is to use a small finger.